Date(s) - April 29,2022 - May 1,2022
8:00 am - 1:00 pm
HOTEL INFO: please call us to assist with your reservation
The Broadmoor Resort Classic rooms $299 per night, Superior rooms $329 per night, and Premier rooms $359 per night, single or double occupancy.
Dr. William Benefield Jr., Pharm D., BCPP, FASCP
University of Texas at San Antonio and Austin
Dr. William Benefield graduated with honors from Auburn University with a BS in Pharmacy and received his Doctorate in Pharmacy degree from the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Texas Health Center at San Antonio. Dr. Benefield completed his residency in Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He has been board certified in Psychiatric Pharmacy since 1997 and is a founding member of CPNP. He is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Texas. He has practiced in the areas of developmental disabilities, hospice and long term care for the past 30 years. He has authored and co-authored chapters in Pharmacotherapy, the Pharmacotherapy Case Book, and Applied Therapeutics. He has presented at the national meetings of the ACCP, ASCP, American Epilepsy Society, American Academy of Neurology, and NCDEU.
Friday, April 29, 2022
1. Identify signs and symptoms of acute withdrawal, acute intoxication, and chronic dependency associated with alcohol, opiates, and tobacco.
2. Describe the pharmacologic and pharmacokinetic properties for therapy used in the treatment of these substance use disorders.
3. Apply evidence-based strategies for selecting appropriate pharmacotherapy for a patient with substance use disorder.
4. Evaluate the evidence-based literature regarding the treatment of opioid dependence in pregnancy.
5. Discuss the management of intrapartum and postpartum pain in opioid dependent patients.
Saturday, April 30, 2022
1. Discuss the classification system and diagnostic criteria for mood disorders found in DSM-5 including Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar 1 Disorders, and Bipolar 2 Disorder.
2. Compare anticonvulsants with regard to treatment, efficacy, side effect profile, and managing adverse reactions.
3. Discuss lithium with regard to treatment, efficacy, side effect profile, and managing adverse reactions.
4. Compare antipsychotics with regard to pharmacology, treatment, efficacy, side effect profile, and managing adverse effects.
5. Compare antidepressants with regard to pharmacology, efficacy, side effect profile, and managing adverse effects.
Sunday, May 1, 2022
1. Compare the various antidepressants with regard to the Cytochrome P-450 drug interaction potential.
2. Define Treatment Resistant Depression and discuss treatment strategies including adjunctive medication.
3. Identify novel strategies and delivery mechanisms for pharmacologic agents used in the management of mood disorders.
4. Identify risk factors associated with the use of antidepressants or anticonvulsants and increased suicidal behavior or ideation.
5. Design a treatment regimen with monitoring parameters for a patient with depession or bipolar disorder that includes non-pharmacologic therapy, antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and/or adjunctive agents.